Salmo residents are encouraged to join the campaign to bring curbside recycling to Village of Salmo residents, eliminating the need for a regional depot in Salmo. The enclosed support form can be signed by residents, regional depot users and Lions Park users and returned to the Village office before July 7th, 2017.
The Village of Salmo is on the Recycle BC waiting list to receive curbside recycling since May of 2015. In the meantime, park reservations at Lions Park will not be approved during Waste Management recycling bin scheduled pick-up on Wednesdays and Saturdays from 11am – 3pm for public safety reasons.
Copies of the community Expression of Support for Curbside Recycling in Salmo forms are available here and at the Village office. Completed forms should be returned to the Village for submission to Recycle BC by July 7th, 2017.
- Whereas the regional depot located in the Village of Salmo is inappropriately located next to a community park in a residential neighbourhood also causing an increase in traffic past our local elementary school ; and,
- Whereas the regional depot is unsightly, plagued by ongoing illegal dumping and debris, muddy, dusty, costly to maintain, and limits public park use during recycling pick-up windows; and,
- Whereas the Village is primarily a residential community without a depot location in Village limits that meets the needs of residents; and,
- Whereas the people of Salmo recycle regularly and would experience a significant decrease in recycling rates if the depot is moved outside of Salmo; and,
- Whereas curbside recycling has been proven to increase recycling rates and promotes sustainable living, and the Village of Salmo has been on Recycle BC’s (formerly MMBC) curbside recycling waiting list since May of 2015;
- Therefore, we the people of Salmo as well as regional users of Lions Park and or the regional depot, call on Recycle BC, the provincial recycling program provider, to release funding for curbside recycling for Village of Salmo residents.
Please also find below the public notice form regarding recycling bin pick-up times.
Please report all concerns with illegal dumping and debris to RDCK at 1(800)268-7325 or [email protected]