Level II Waste Water Treatment Facility Operator & Civic Works Equipment Operator
July 12th – Application Deadline Now Extended to July 27th
Salmo, “the Hub of the Kootenays” has a strong community spirit and is a fantastic place to live! Centrally located on Hwy 3 about 30 minutes from Trail, Castlegar, Nelson or Creston, Salmo offers the best of mountain living. Local residents can participate in a great outdoor lifestyle while enjoying close proximity to urban amenities. Family-friendly Salmo features beautiful parks, trails and rivers, affordable housing prices, elementary and high schools, community and wellness centers, swimming pool, curling and hockey rinks, a ski hill, snowmobiling, a golf course, a bike-park, fishing and much more. If you enjoy a job with lots of variety and life in a small, vibrant village with access to lots of outdoor recreational activities this is the place for you!
We are in the process of a major $2 million upgrade to our waste water treatment facility and collection system. The successful candidate will have unique and exciting opportunity to work with the engineering team providing input to the final design and to be the team leader in bringing the new systems online. This will include planning and design input, environmental permitting, installation, operations, maintenance, commissioning, and other necessary renovations of the Village’s wastewater and sewer utility systems.
Our Civic Works Department operates a Level II Waste Water Treatment Facility and Level I Waste Water Collection System and a well-based Level 1 Water Distribution System. In addition the team improves and maintains the village’s municipal infrastructure, including roads, sidewalks, parks, dike and other facilities, and provides winter snow removal for the village. The waste water treatment system uses an activated sludge process. It includes primary screening at the headworks, two parallel oxidation ditches, two clarifiers, sludge de-watering, and treated effluent disposal to 5 rapid infiltration basins.
In addition to spearheading the WWTP upgrade, the Level II Utility Operator & Civic Works Equipment Operator (L2) position is responsible for daily operations of the waste water treatment facility and collection system, including the technical and manual support associated with operations, and assists with the operation of the water distribution system. The work involves some complexity and variety in the performance of skilled and semi-skilled tasks relating to water production, waste water collection and treatment.
As an equipment operator the L2 operates heavy equipment year-round including the John Deer 444 loader/snowplow, an excavator, grader and dump truck and other miscellaneous equipment.
Duties are split approximately 60/40 between system operations and civic works projects. All duties are performed in accordance with legislation, good engineering practices and departmental policy, but also require independence of judgement and resolution of technical challenges in day-to-day activities. Work is performed indoors and out under all seasonal weather conditions. Heavy lifting is required.
Instructions are received orally and in writing. The incumbent is expected to carry a village-supplied cell phone, respond to after hours SCADA trouble calls and emergency snow removal requests when necessary, and be available for back up to other operations needing assistance on call outs. There is a regular on-call schedule for the civic works team. A non-union facility we provide a competitive wage and benefits package and participate in the municipal pension fund.
- Completion of Grade 12, including English and mathematics.
- Valid EOCP Wastewater Treatment Level II (or ability to write soon)
- Valid EOCP Wastewater Collection Level I
- BCWWA-Certified Backflow Assembly Tester.
- Minimum 4-5 years of experience in a water and wastewater utility, or any equivalent combination of education and experience, preferably in a municipal environment.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Windows, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Word, data bases and SCADA Control Systems.
- Possession of a valid Class 5 BC Drivers Licence and a clear driving record.
- Post-secondary diploma, Water & Waste Water Technician
- Valid EOCP Water Distribution Level I
- Experience in systems programming and its application to utilities installations, operations and maintenance with in a supervisory capacity would be an asset.
- Air-brakes certification
- A mechanical aptitude with the ability to perform a variety of skilled and semi-skilled manual, mechanical, electronic and technical tasks related to the work using considerable independence of judgement.
- Demonstrable ability to establish effective working relationships with staff, contractors and the public, providing information, assistance, advice and direction as required.
Interested applicants are requested to send their resume AND covering letter to the undersigned prior by 4:00 p.m., Friday, July 27, 2018.
Anne Williams, Chief Administrative Officer – [email protected]mo.ca
Box 1000 – 423 Davies Avenue
Salmo BC V0G 1Z0
A complete job description can be viewed here.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
The Village requires an office cleaner.
July 12, 2018 – this position has now been filled.