Updated Salmo Community Plan available for review
September 1, 2018 – This version is currently undergoing an edit and there will be another public hearing for the OCP in the new year. A public survey on the economic development and economic future vision for Salmo will be conducted before year end in order to provide and incorporate a sound, sustainable economic vision for Salmo in this OCP.
Sustainable Salmo is a planning process to update the Village’s Official Community Plan in a way that is sustainable and inclusive.
The new plan will shape our future.
Project partners include the Village of Salmo, Central Kootenay Regional District, Fraser Basin Council and Interior Health. Residents are key stakeholders in the process, and are invited to participate in a variety of ways.
A Public Hearing was held by Council of the Village of Salmo at the Salmo Valley Youth and Community Centre (SVYCC) at 206–Seventh Street, Salmo, BC on Tuesday, January 30, 2018 at 7:00 p.m. The purpose of the Public Hearing was to hear representations on “Sustainable Salmo Official Community Plan Bylaw 687, 2017”.
Copies of “Sustainable Salmo Official Community Plan Bylaw 687, 2017” can be viewed online at sustainablesalmo.ca or may be inspected at the Village Office between the hours of 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday, excluding Statutory holidays.
This document integrates the results of an extensive public consultation process that began on Canada Day 2016 and included a community survey, lifestyle photo contest, survey, asset mapping, video, and four public workshops. An additional survey is planned for late 2018 to gather further input from residents on the economic future of Salmo and how they envision the economic sustainability of Sustainable Salmo. Once the document has had a further edit incorporating this data it will again be made available for public review and another public hearing will be held before a final version is completed for Council approval.
If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact the Village Office [email protected] and book an appointment to speak with the Chief Administrative Officer.
SUSTAINABLE SALMO HIGHLIGHTS
There are many exciting highlights in this draft Sustainable Salmo Official Community Plan. The draft integrates sustainability planning principles with more typical community land-use planning, including:
- The plan adds two new Development Permit Areas – Natural Hazards and Aquifer Protection – to reflect the community’s priorities – safety and environmental stewardship, and the protection of the Village’s priority asset – the aquifer and its pristine water supply.
- The plan includes objectives, policies and targets regarding climate change and reducing greenhouse gas emissions, as required under the Local Government Act.
- The elementary school site is changed from Institutional to Mixed-Use Neighbourhood planning, promoting the development of a unique residential and commercial neighbourhood if the elementary site closes, as anticipated. This designation includes a wide variety of uses such as affordable housing, childcare, community gardens, life-long learning, and a café, and demonstrates ‘green’ building principles in design and construction, creating a sustainable neighbourhood.
- Temporary Use Permit provisions were added, giving the Village additional tools to guide and regulate temporary uses such as seasonal vendor markets.
- An Asset Management section describes the Village’s current and future asset and infrastructure plans, and acknowledges and places value on human assets (employees and volunteers) in addition to natural assets, as part of overall asset management.