Salmo Official Community Plan Bylaw 687 2020
January 15, 2020 – The update of the 2002 OCP is now complete. The Salmo Official community Plan Bylaw #687 2020, Sustainable Salmo, received its third and final reading at the January 14th 2020 Council meeting and was then adopted at the meeting as per the Community Charter. View it here.
The updating of the OCP was a four-year long inclusive process fully-funded by a grant through the Union of BC Municipalities (UBCM) administering the Federal Gas Tax Strategic Priorities Fund. Project partners included the Village of Salmo, Central Kootenay Regional District, Fraser Basin Council and Interior Health. Salmo and area residents were key stakeholders in the development process and were invited to participate in a variety of ways over the development time frame.
Council and staff would like to thank the many contributors who provided valuable input throughout this process and UBCM and the Federal Gas Tax Program for their support.
OCP Economic Development Survey Results
January 15, 2020 – An integral part of the Sustainable Salmo OCP development process was the OCP Economic Survey Development Survey conducted from December 12, 2018 to January 11, 2019. In it local residents shared their vision of Salmo with Council. The OCP Economic Development Survey Report 2019, Appendix A: OCP Survey Data and Appendix B Survey Comments by Question are now available as a companion piece to the new OCP bylaw. The results have been incorporated into bylaw and will also be key to the updating of Salmo’s Land Use/Zoning bylaw. They will also be used by Council and staff to assist in other decision making, and by local groups as reference material for their processes.
Thank you to all who shared your vision of Salmo with us.
The document integrates the results of an extensive public consultation process that began on Canada Day 2016 and has included a community survey, lifestyle photo contest, asset mapping, video, four public workshops. In addition, the OCP Economic Development Survey was conducted over December 2018 to January 2019 gathering further input from residents on the economic future of Salmo and how they envision the economic sustainability of Sustainable Salmo. The OCP document incorporates feedback from all stages and stakeholders throughout the development process. Thank you to all who contributed.
If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact the Village Office [email protected] and book an appointment to speak with the Chief Administrative Officer.
SUSTAINABLE SALMO HIGHLIGHTS
There are many exciting highlights in the Sustainable Salmo Official Community Plan. The OCP integrates sustainability planning principles with more typical community land-use planning, including:
- The plan includes two new Development Permit Areas – Natural Hazards and Aquifer Protection – to reflect the community’s priorities – safety and environmental stewardship, and the protection of the Village’s priority asset – the aquifer and its pristine water supply.
- Temporary Use Permit provisionsare included, giving the Village additional tools to guide and regulate temporary uses such as seasonal vendor markets.
- The plan includes objectives, policies and targets regarding climate change and reducing greenhouse gas emissions, as required under the Local Government Act.
- Emphasis has been placed on in-fill of vacant lots and encouraging the development of live-work structures in the downtown core area and mixed use development in currently undeveloped areas.
- An Asset Management section describes the Village’s current and future asset and infrastructure plans, and acknowledges and places value on human assets (employees and volunteers) in addition to natural assets and tangible assets, as part of overall asset management.