OCP Survey Results Now Available.
March 13, 2019 – Salmo is in the process of updating its Official Community Plan (OCP). From December 12, 2018 to January 11, 2019 local residents shared their vision of Salmo with Council. The OCP Economic Development Survey Report 2019, Appendix A: OCP Survey Data and Appendix B Survey Comments by Question are now available. The results will be incorporated into the OCP and Zoning bylaw planning processes and used by Council to assist in other decision making, and by local groups as reference material for their processes.
Thank you to all who shared your vision of Salmo with us.
Sustainable Salmo is a planning process to update the Village’s Official Community Plan in a way that is sustainable and inclusive.
The new plan will shape our future.
Project partners include the Village of Salmo, Central Kootenay Regional District, Fraser Basin Council and Interior Health. Residents are key stakeholders in the process, and are invited to participate in a variety of ways.
Salmo Official Community Plan Undergoing Re-write
November 28, 2018 – At the Village Council meeting on Tuesday, November 27, 2018 council voted to rescind the first reading of the OCP to allow a major edit, including the incorporation of objectives, policies and/or strategies regarding issues such as affordable housing, economic development, Bear Smart and FireSmart. There will be another public hearing for the OCP in the new year. A public survey on the economic development and economic future vision for Salmo will be conducted beginning in December in order to provide and incorporate a sound, sustainable economic vision for Salmo in this OCP.
The document will integrate the results of an extensive public consultation process that began on Canada Day 2016 and has included a community survey, lifestyle photo contest, survey, asset mapping, video, four public workshops. The OCP Economic Development Survey was conducted over December 2018 to January 2019 gather further input from residents on the economic future of Salmo and how they envision the economic sustainability of Sustainable Salmo. Once the OCP document has had a further edit incorporating this data it will again be made available for public review and another public hearing will be held before a final version is completed for Council approval. The final version will be called “Sustainable Salmo Official Community Plan Bylaw 687, 2019”
If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact the Village Office [email protected] and book an appointment to speak with the Chief Administrative Officer.
SUSTAINABLE SALMO HIGHLIGHTS
There are many exciting highlights in this draft Sustainable Salmo Official Community Plan. The draft integrates sustainability planning principles with more typical community land-use planning, including:
- It is anticipated that the plan will add two new Development Permit Areas – Natural Hazards and Aquifer Protection – to reflect the community’s priorities – safety and environmental stewardship, and the protection of the Village’s priority asset – the aquifer and its pristine water supply.
- Temporary Use Permit provisions will be included, giving the Village additional tools to guide and regulate temporary uses such as seasonal vendor markets.
- The plan includes objectives, policies and targets regarding climate change and reducing greenhouse gas emissions, as required under the Local Government Act.
- Emphasis will be placed on in-fill of vacant lots and encouraging the development of live-work structures in the downtown core area and mixed use development in currently undeveloped areas.
- An Asset Management section describes the Village’s current and future asset and infrastructure plans, and acknowledges and places value on human assets (employees and volunteers) in addition to natural assets and tangible assets, as part of overall asset management.